The department of computer science and information technology/mathematics offers four major subject areas namely:
- Computing and intelligent systems
- Computational analysis, design and applications
- Data communication and information systems
- Operations research and network systems
These lead to the award of Bachelors degree in computer science and information technology. Philosophy and objectives of the department of computer science
The philosophy of the Bachelor of computer science Degree in computer science which
includes, contribution to knowledge and material development through moral, academic,
physical and entrepreneurial training of first-rate future leaders in technological and
social-economic development in Nigeria and Edo State in particular. Accordingly,
emphasis is placed on:
- Training of the student to have interest in and capacity for the application of scientific principles.
- The application of scientific principles and methods towards solving societal problems.
- The development in the students of the capacity for innovation and improvisation of materials from local resources.
The programme is conceived to produce graduates of Computer Science with adequate academic and research background. The training would be geared towards the development of the theory of computing and applications of Information Technology intended to be beneficial to society.
OBJETIVESThe objectives are to
The objective of the department is to provide suitable and qualitative computer education in the challenging world of scientific evolution. The department focus on constant involvement in computer science particularly in the field of information Technology, to structure course, thereby, covering a broad area and providing opportunity towards specialization in specific areas.
Other objectives include:
- To train students in various aspects of Computer Science through adequate theoretical exposure and applications;
- o train students in applying computing knowledge to research, industry and everyday life;
- To expose students to state-of-the-art technology and industrial practice;
- To inculcate in the graduates of the degree programme a strong desire to achieve an enviable level of professionalism and entrepreneurship while maintaining good academic background germinating into a valuable industry-university relationship.